Why Study Dance?
- At the University of Washington Department of Dance, students will investigate dance as an art form and as a cultural practice, and are given the opportunity to explore dance styles from multiple perspectives.
- The curriculum offers an integrated course of study with a rigorous balance between creative work and academic study.
- Our students enjoy the flexibility that the curriculum offers, with over 80% of our majors as double majors.
- We support each individual in pursuing a career that matches their unique interests, with a range of electives on choreography, production, dance science, scholarly dance, dance education, and arts administration.
- Over 15 genres of dance techniques are offered including contemporary ballet, contemporary modern, street styles, west african, social dances, among others.
- Students have many opportunities to perform including four annual concerts produced by the department of dance.
- Masterclasses and workshops taught by local, national, and international guest artists are made available to students regularly. The Meany Center series brings internationally aclaimed companies to campus and offers a number of master classes with renowned dance artists for UW dance students.
- The students, staff, and faculty of the UW Department of Dance, aspire to create a community built on respect, equity, collaboration, and belonging.
What programs do we offer for undergraduates?
Degree Options: BA in Dance | Minor in Dance | Honors Program
- Scholarships & Financial Aid: We do not offer full scholarships, however, we have several scholarships for students that require sophomore, junior or senior status. Students are selected based on various criteria established by the creators of the endowments/scholarships.
- Career Preparation: Career options for dance majors and minors. Career Explorations for Dancers and Teaching Methods offer preparation for a future in dance or dance-related fields.
How do you major in Dance?
There are no auditions for the major. Students are eligible to declare a major in dance during autumn, winter, spring, and summer quarters on a rolling basis once they have completed the following requirements:
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.
- Successful completion of five credits in any of the required core courses for the major.
- Be registered in or have successfully completed at least one technique course.
- UW Admissions: Incoming Freshmen, Current Students, Transfers, International Students
- How to Apply
- Frequently Asked Questions