- Prospective Students
- How to Apply to the Dance Major
- How to Apply to the Dance Minor
- How to Apply for Dance Honors
UW Office of Admissions has information on applying to the University of Washington as a freshman, transfer, international, or postbac student. Undergraduates entering the BA program in dance must first be admitted to the University and no audition is required.
Prospective students should contact us for an appointment or to arrange a visit. In-person visits to the Department of Dance can provide essential information about the programs and also provide the opportunity for potential students to experience a class. The Dance Advisor and faculty members are always happy to meet with prospective students and answer questions about the Department of Dance.
How to apply to the Dance Major
To apply to the dance major, students should schedule an appointment with the Dance Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org), and complete the online orientation to the Department of Dance. Applicants who meet the following requirements are accepted during autumn, winter, spring, and summer quarters on a rolling basis.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Successful completion of 3 credits in any of the academic dance courses.
- Successful completion of or registration in at least one dance practice/technique course.
All applicants must be current students at the University of Washington in order to be considered for the dance major.
How to apply to the Dance Minor
To apply to the dance minor, students must file the paperwork with their major advisor. Students who meet the following requirements may declare a minor in dance:
- Earned 45 credits at the University of Washington
- Declared a major
- Completed any one of the Department of Dance courses listed here.
Students in good academic standing may declare the minor at any time by meeting with their major adviser.
Please see the Undergraduate Advising’s Minor page for additional considerations about earning a minor.
How to apply for Dance Honors
The Department of Dance offers students the opportunity to graduate with Honors. Students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for department honors:
- A minimum of 90 college credits including two courses at the 300 or 400 level in the dance major
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30
- A minimum major GPA of 3.50
- Identification of faculty advisor
- Submission of Honors application to the Department of Dance Advisor during the quarter prior to the projected commencement of the Honors Program study, and no later than four quarters prior to graduation.