The Dance Major curriculum offers an in-depth study of dance as an art form and cultural practice. Students are given the opportunity to explore dance from several analytical and methodological frameworks: technical, creative, historical, cultural, aesthetic, pedagogical and scientific, resulting in a rigorous balance between creative work and academic study.
Admissions, Advising & Student Resources
Please see our Undergraduate Programs section for information about applying to the majors program, career paths, scholarships, and other student resources.
- Must take all of the following
- Dance 166** Dance Composition I (5 credits)
- Dance 242 Music in Relation to Dance (3 credits)
- Dance 250* Cross Cultural Dance (5 credits)
- Dance 251 Creative Process (5 credits)
- Dance 271 Dance Production Crew (1 credit) See here for more information about production.
- Dance 493 Anatomy for Dance (5 credits)
- Any one of the following Dance History courses
- Any one of the following Career Transition courses
- Dance 480 Career Explorations for Dance Majors (3 credits)
- Dance 494 Dance Teaching Methodologies (3-5 credits)
- Dance Technique (minimum 15 credits)
Must have at least 15 credits at the 200 level or above representing at least four different movement idioms, selected from the following list—which presents courses in alphabetical order by idiom. Please note that the Department of Dance is in the process of adding additional courses and this list may not reflect all of the offerings at a given time. Please consult with the adviser:
- Electives (minimum 9 credits or an option selected from Focused Career Options)
Electives in the Dance Major may be choosen from a list provided by the adviser or students may work the adviser to create a unique list based on career goals and focus. See advisor for more details.
- Total Department of Dance courses to complete the Dance Major: 54-56 Credits
Completion Of The Major
A number of the courses required in the Dance Major are offered every other year. Consequently, a student should anticipate a minimum of two years to complete all coursework for the major. From his/her first quarter as a major, a student should work carefully with the Academic Advisor in order to pursue course work in a progression that will guarantee completion of the major in four years.
**The full comp series (Comp I plus 6 credits in Comp II and/or Comp III – both of which may be repeated) is required for those majors interested in choreographing for the Dance Majors Concert
*The Dance Department is currently reviewing its major and in the process of making changes to parts of the degree. While this process takes time, we are making substitutions to different degree requirements. Please consult with an adviser regarding interim classes that could count toward degree requirements