The Dance Major curriculum offers an in-depth study of dance as an art form and cultural practice. Students are given the opportunity to explore dance from several analytical and methodological frameworks: technical, creative, historical, cultural, aesthetic, pedagogical and scientific, resulting in a rigorous balance between creative work and academic study.
Admissions, Advising & Student Resources
Please see our Undergraduate Programs section for information about applying to the majors program, career paths, scholarships, and other student resources.
- Must take all of the following
- Any one of the following Dance History courses
- Any one of the following Career Transition courses
- Dance 480 Career Explorations for Dance Majors (3 credits)
- Dance 494 Dance Teaching Methodologies (3-5 credits)
- Dance Technique (minimum 15 credits)
Must have at least 15 credits at the 200 level or above representing at least four different movement idioms, selected from the following list or other approved special topics courses. Please note that the Dance Department is in the process of adding additional courses and this list may not reflect all of the offerings at a given time. Please consult with the adviser:
- Dance 204-206/304-306 Modern Technique II, III
- Dance 201-203/301-303 Ballet Technique II, III
- Dance 210-212/310-312 Jazz Technique II, III
- Dance 225 Tap Technique
- Dance 231/241 Folk and Social Dance Forms
- Dance 234 World Dance and Culture
- Dance 237 Ballroom Dance I
- Dance 238 Swing Dance I
- Dance 239 Tango I
- Dance 240 Street and Club Dances
- Dance 245 Improvisation
- Dance 280 African Dance I
- Dance 285 African Dance and Culture
- Dance 286 Topics in Street Dance Techniques
- Dance 287 Capoeira I
- Dance 324 Partnering Techniques
- Dance 336 Salsa II
- Dance 339 Tango II
- Dance 380 African Dance II
- Electives (minimum 9 credits or an option selected from Focused Career Options)
Electives in the Dance Major may be choosen from a list provided by the adviser or students may work the adviser to create a unique list based on career goals and focus. See advisor for more details.
- Total Department of Dance courses to complete the Dance Major: 54-56 Credits
Completion Of The Major
A number of the courses required in the Dance Major are offered every other year. Consequently, a student should anticipate a minimum of two years to complete all coursework for the major. From his/her first quarter as a major, a student should work carefully with the Academic Advisor in order to pursue course work in a progression that will guarantee completion of the major in four years.
**The full comp series (Comp I plus 6 credits in Comp II and/or Comp III – both of which may be repeated) is required for those majors interested in choreographing for the Dance Majors Concert
*Substitutions to this requirement are currently in effective. See adviser for details regarding the 2019-2020 academic year offerings.