You are here
Recent and Upcoming Diversity and Racial Equity Trainings
- On December 13, 2019, the full-time faculty will participate in an all-day training with consultant Tilman Smith entitled, “White Women Strengthening Anti-Racism and Cross Cultural Skills.”
- Building Equitable Classrooms: First Day & Beyond (September 2019): This training for all faculty, let by staff at the Center for Teaching and Learning, focused on ways to enact the work of the syllabus throughout the quarter. Included: sharing evidence-based ways students & faculty can practice sustaining equitable classrooms & practicing responses to implicit bias before the bias surfaces.
- The Department received a Diversity Seed Grant to help fund a series of facilitated meetings and focus groups for the 2019-2020 year. The department received the full amount which is being matched by the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Building Equitable Classrooms: Before the First Day (June 2019): This training for all faculty, let by staff at the Center for Teaching and Learning, focused on syllabus & assignment design, emphasizing making assumptions transparent, setting expectations, & discussing what Wadiya Udell calls "the pedagogy of the people in the room."
- Faculty participated in an all-day retreat with Linda Callecod to examine our department mission, vision and values on June 12, 2019.
- Faculty viewed “White Fragility” by Robin D’Angelo and “So You Want to Talk About Race” by Ijeoma Oluo (spring 2019).
- Faculty, staff, and students participation in a Facilitated Town Hall on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (April 2019). Responses to questions attendees wrote at the end of the session can be found here.
- All faculty, staff, and graduate students participated in a Department-wide racial equity “Foundational Understandings” training (spring 2018).